Indian Arugula Salad
- Three cups cucumbers, peeled and chopped
- Two cups plain nondairy yogurt
- 1½ cups tomatoes, chopped
- One cup fresh arugula, torn
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- One tablespoon flaxseed oil
- One teaspoon cardamom, ground
- One teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- Two teaspoons turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, nondairy yogurt, tomatoes, and arugula. Mix well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients to create the dressing.
3. Toss the salad with the dressing.
4. Serve at room temperature.
Endive with Basil and Sprouts
- One cup curly or Belgian endive, chopped
- One cup Mesclun lettuce, torn
- ½ cup fresh basil, firmly packed
- ½ cup clover sprouts
- One cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- One cup blueberries, as a garnish
- ½ cup pears, diced, as a garnish
1. In a large salad bowl, combine the endive, lettuce, basil, sprouts, and tomatoes.
2. Garnish with blueberries, pears, and pumpkin seeds.
3. Serve with a favorite salad dressing.
- Four cups soaked arame
- One cup carrot, steamed and small diced
- One cup cucumber, sliced
- ½ cup yellow pepper, sliced
- ¼ sesame seeds
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Three tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Three tablespoons mustard
- Two tablespoons date or maple sugar
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine arame, carrot, cucumber, pepper, and sesame seeds.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients.
3. Drizzle over salad and toss well.
Arame Fennel Salad
- One cup arame
- ½ cup fennel, chopped
- ½ cup daikon radish, shredded
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil
- Six tablespoons rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- Two tablespoons lemon juice
- One teaspoon of sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly black pepper
- Two tablespoons sesame seeds
1. In a large saucepan, cover arame with water and boil for 15 minutes.
2. Rinse under cool water.
3. Drain and measure 1 cup.
4. In a large bowl, combine arame, fennel, and daikon radish. Mix to combine.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together sesame oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
6. Pour over arame mixture, add sesame seeds, and toss well.
7. Chill for 1 hour before serving.
Fennel and Asparagus Salad
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Two tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ pound endive, separated into leaves
- ½ pound asparagus, peeled into strips and blanched
- One pound fennel, white part thinly sliced
- Two tablespoons fennel fronds, stemmed and chopped
- Two tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
1. Blend olive oil, lemon juice, orange juice, salt, and pepper until well incorporated. Set aside.
2. Combine endive, asparagus, fennel, fennel fronds, and pine nuts in a mixing bowl.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss.
4. Serve immediately.